Carrie L. Zochert
Carrie Zochert is an experienced litigator at Berens & Miller, an AV Preeminent-rated attorney, and consistently selected as a SuperLawyer. Ms. Zochert, a partner in the firm, focuses her practice on management-side employment law and complex business litigation. Her practice covers the spectrum of employment litigation in both state and federal courts, as well as charges of discrimination before the Minnesota Human Rights Commission and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Ms. Zochert has handled cases involving claims of race, religious, age, gender, and disability discrimination, as well as retaliatory discharge, sexual harassment, and non-compete/restrictive covenant claims. She has significant experience in the defense of collective and class action lawsuits involving state and federal wage and overtime violations, misclassification, and discrimination claims. She routinely advises clients on employment and work-related issues.
In addition to employment law cases, Ms. Zochert also has experience representing clients in complex commercial litigation disputes, including breach of contract, business torts, insurance coverage, trade secrets, trademark, and patent disputes. She also represents clients in alternative dispute resolution venues, including arbitration (AAA, JAMS, FINRA) and private mediation of matters. Ms. Zochert has successfully represented clients in appellate matters, both as the appellant and as the respondent. As a result of her extensive and varied practice, Ms. Zochert has experience providing direction and insight for high-level strategic decisions involving nationwide litigation, e-discovery, and settlement.
Prior to attending law school, Ms. Zochert pursued a business career, serving as a marketing executive for a subsidiary of a Fortune 100 company. Her business background provides her with a unique understanding of the practical implications of multi-party litigation, including defense strategy, risk and cost analysis, as well as effective and efficient management of discovery throughout the litigation process.
Ms. Zochert is a member of the American Bar Association, the Minnesota State Bar Association, the Federal Bar Association, and is currently admitted to practice in the United States District Court of Minnesota and all state courts in Minnesota.
Ms. Zochert earned her J.D., cum laude, from William Mitchell College of Law. Following law school, Ms. Zochert clerked at the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Minnesota Court of Appeals, Law Clerk to the Honorable Sam Hanson, 2001 to 2002
- Minnesota Court of Appeals, Law Clerk to the Honorable Randolph Peterson, 2002 to 2005
- American Bar Association, 2007 to Present
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Present
Classes & Seminars
- MSBA Contracts Deskbook CLE Course, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Benefits & Liabilities of Conducting Background Checks, NAMWOLF, 09/23/2013
- Law in Practice, University of Minnesota Law School, 01/01/2014 to 04/25/2014
- Business Litigation
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1999
- Honors: cum laude
- South Dakota State University, South Dakota
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts
- Major: Political Science
- Minnesota, 1999
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 2007